If you’re like me, when I went vegetarian and as I move toward being mostly vegan one taste I typically crave is a very smoky bar-b-cue flavor. One of my fondest memories of my dad is when we could have family cookouts and he and I would make the bar-b-cue sauce. This is my recipe for a delicious bar-b-cue sauce that will make your mouth water.
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (or use 3 cups of crushed tomatoes and cook them down)
- 1/8 cup vegan worcestershire sauce (homemade recipe coming soon)
- 1/8 cup Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acids
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard (homemade recipe coming soon)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 Tbsp regular chili powder
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
In a medium sauce pan bring crushed tomatoes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Use a stick blender to smooth out the crushed tomatoes. Add all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Bring bar-b-cue sauce back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water until you get the consistency you desire. If the sauce is too thin, add more granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, and dark chili powder one teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
This bar-b-cue sauce is thick, tangy & sweet.